It’s been a while, but I’m back. Or at least, I hope to have some more time to blog again from now on. And not just to blog, because many of my blogs are the result of experimentations with software and hardware. So I hope to have time to experiment, write new demos, and generally play around with stuff.
First things first though… A backlog of items has accumulated in the past silent months. And it occured to me that I never even wrote a blog about my last demoscene production, which was the invitation for Outline 2018, released at Revision 2018:
Granted, it is not too spectacular… Some graphics, a nice animation, and just a simple text writer with vertical scrolling, accompanied by some OPL3 music. But still, I’d like to describe some of the development behind it.
The music was done by Diode Milliampere in Adlib Tracker II, making fine use of the OPL3 functionality. Getting the music to play was a technical challenge. Adlib Tracker II may be open source, but it is written in Free Pascal. This makes it difficult to interface with other languages such as C and ASM, which I prefer. The code also requires 32-bit DOS or Windows.
Initially I went looking for an alternative player, and I found a routine in C. There were some problems with it though. The code was rather outdated, which meant it was not compatible with the later versions of AT2. One problem was that AT2 switched to a different compression algorithm. I tried porting the Pascal code for the decompressor myself, and eventually got it working.
However, because of the way the format is designed, you need huge buffers to decompress the pattern data, and the format is also extremely wasteful. Storing entire patterns in memory works fine when you use 4-channel mods, with 64 rows per pattern. However, OPL2 is 18 channels, and AT2 supports higher resolution patterns, up to 256 rows each. This means every single pattern takes up about 130k in memory, so things get very memory-hungry fast.
The same goes for the macro feature that the format supports. This has similar memory-hungry buffers. In short, just to decompress an AT2 file, you already needed about 5 MB of memory. So 16-bit was never going to be an option. I tried skipping the macro feature, and using some simple compression scheme for the pattern data (a lot of values tend to be 0 in every row, so you can store it efficiently by just making a linked list of the used data, and skipping the unused rows). It did eventually play some simple files in 16-bit mode, but you quickly ran out of memory still when there was more pattern data.
Another problem is that the replayer logic is also rather time-consuming with all the instrument and effect parameters running over 18 channels. The lower bound for playing AT2 files is more or less a 486SX-25.
So, I figured that it might be better to just go with my own preprocessing VGM player, which is at the other end of the spectrum in terms of CPU and memory usage. I just captured the music with DOSBox, and used the preprocessed capture data in the demo.
The graphics effects are rather simple. The main text is just a Mode X screen, where I scroll vertically by just updating the screen offset. I simply draw the next screen of text to the page that is currently invisible.
The other ‘effect’ is the animation at the start. This animation was drawn by visionvortex. He supplied it as a set of PNG files. I simply include all raw pixeldata in the EXE file, and copy the frames to the screen one by one, with the appropriate delay. Nothing fancy.
The party version was rather quick and dirty, but we wanted to release it at Revision anyway, because its goal was to invite people to the Outline party. It worked, but there was a small bug in the initialization routine for the OPL3 chip, which messed up the music.
Another problem was that the animation had quite a few frames, so it took up a lot of memory. This led to an EXE file of 1.7 mb. It also meant that I had to make it a 32-bit DOS release.
In the final version, both things are fixed. The music now sounds the way Diode Milliampere intended it. And I implemented my own simple Mode X RLE compressor and decompressor for the animation frames. The compression worked incredibly well on this animation, so the resulting EXE is only 87 kb. This meant that I could also make the code 16-bit, and fully 8088-compatible.